SANFORD, Maine (NEWS CENTER) -- A newborn was critically burned Wednesday night in what the State Fire Marshal's Office is calling a "freak incident."
The 14-day-old baby, the father, 43-year-old Dirk Jelsing, and 2-year-old sibling were laying on a couch next to an outdoor fire pit. Around 10:30 p.m., sparks ignited Jelsing's coat and the infant suffered serious burns, said investigators.
The infant, Cullum Jelsing, received second and third degree burns from the fire. Medical officials initially took him to Goodall Hospital in Sanford, but he was later taken to Shriner's Hospital in Boston. The father and the 2-year-old both had minor burns.